WProofreader plugin for WordPress scans and checks your website content for spelling, grammar, punctuation and style issues. No banner ads on your website!
Compatible with the following WordPress versions:
- WordPress 4.x
- WordPress 5.x
- WordPress 6.x
Free WProofreader plugin supports only spell-check for 6 languages and comes with a usage limit of 10,000 words processed per day for a single website. Upon reaching the limit, the plugin stops working until the next day. Check more differences between WProofreader plugin free and pro versions below.
WProofreader Free and Pro versions
Free version: ($0)
- Usage limit: Up to 10,000 words processed per day for a single website. Once the daily limit is reached, the plugin will stop working.
- Allowed number of websites: 1 website.
- Languages available for spell checking: (6 languages) American English, British English, French, German, Italian and Spanish.
- Languages available for grammar checking: Not available.
- User-level custom dictionary: No cloud backup. The dictionary is only available in one browser on a single device. The dictionary is not available for review and modification.
- Organization-level custom dictionary: Not available.
Pro version: ($49)
- Usage limit: Up to 100 million words processed per year. No daily limits applied.
- Allowed number of websites: unlimited
- Languages available for spell checking: 20+ popular languages.
- Languages available for grammar checking: Not all listed languages support grammar checks. Here is the updated list of supported languages and the ones marked for grammar check.
- User-level custom dictionary: Stored in the cloud, available from any browser or device. The user can freely access, review and modify the list of words in the dictionary.
- Organization-level custom dictionary: The subscription owner can create global dictionaries that will be available across all the connected websites.
- The check-as-you-type mode instantaneously detects writing mistakes and provides suggestions on-hover.
- The proofread-in-dialog mode aggregates all the issues detected and suggestions provided.
- User-level custom dictionary allows end users to create personal dictionaries with specific words and terms (complex words, acronyms, proper names, etc.) and use them while working with WordPress. Once a word is added to a personal dictionary, it will not be considered as a misspelling, and will appear in the suggestions list. All customly added words are stored either in the browser local storage or on our cloud and are accessible from the browser
- Organization-level custom dictionary allows creating company-wide dictionaries that extend the vocabulary of the standard dictionary with custom words specific to your company culture, industry, domain, etc. All the words added to an organization-level custom dictionary by the admin will be available to all users within your company. This type of dictionary is available only under the Pro version
- Specialized medical spelling dictionaries for English, German, French and Spanish and legal dictionaries for English. Available for both — free and Pro versions of the plugin
- Multi-language support
- Spelling autocorrect functionality for instant correction of common typos
- Autocomplete suggestions functionality for faster writing
- Style guide functionality with pre-defined non-inclusive and profanity language check for professional writing
- User-level and organization-level dictionaries
User-friendly and up-to-date
- Straightforward plugin configuration (check the video tutorial)
- Visible and intuitive text check with different colors used for spelling, grammar, and style guide issues
- Easily toggle on/off the plugin button
- Support the latest version of WordPress
- Seamlessly integrates with the WordPress latest editor — Gutenberg and compatible with the classic editor of WordPress 4.x.
- Support of the browsers: Chrome, Firefox, Safari, Microsoft Edge, Internet Explorer 11
- Content elements supported: pages, posts, tag descriptions, category descriptions, WooCommerce, WP eCommerce product descriptions, any custom post types, meta description fields of Yoast SEO plugin.
Benefits of WProofreader plugin for WordPress
- It saves time proofreading in any of the two modes – check-as-you type and proofread-in-dialog.
- You can create and maintain quality posts in different languages without worries about possible mistakes.
- Advanced functionality for spelling autocorrect, autocomplete suggestions and style guide for faster and more productive writing.
From your WordPress dashboard
- Visit ‘Plugins > Add New’.
- Search for ‘WProofreader’.
- Activate WProofreader from your Plugins page.
- Download WProofreader plugin.
- Upload the ‘wproofreader’ directory to your ‘/wp-content/plugins/’ directory, using your favorite method (ftp, sftp, scp, etc…)
- Activate WProofreader from your Plugins page.
Automatic updates should run smoothly, but it’s always a good idea to back up your site, just in case.
What is a license key and how to obtain one?
A license key is a special data string that verifies authorized access to the Pro version of WProofreader plugin. The license key is provided by the WebSpellChecker when the Pro version is purchased.
Does the WProofreader plugin check the entire website?
The plugin does not check the whole website at a time. It is enabled only when the content on your website is in editing mode. Here is the list of content types which can be checked by the plugin: content of pages, content of posts, tag descriptions, category descriptions, WooCommerce and WP eCommerce product descriptions, any Custom Post Type, Meta description fields of Yoast SEO plugin.
What other languages are available for WProofreader plugin?
The free version of WProofreader plugin supports 6 languages, including:
- American English
- British English
The Pro version of WProofreader plugin supports 20+ popular languages.
* Note that not all languages support grammar checks. Here is the list of available languages. Languages with grammar enabled are marked.
What is a user-level custom dictionary and how can I create one?
WProofreader plugin has a special functionality called a custom dictionary. It allows creating personal dictionaries with specific words and terms (complex words, acronyms, proper names, etc.) and using them across your website. Words added to a personal dictionary will not be marked as misspellings.
To create a new user-level custom dictionary, click the badge in the bottom right corner of the text field and select Settings. Then go to Dictionaries. Name your new dictionary and click Create. All new words will be added to a brand-new dictionary. If you have several personal dictionaries, for example, with different term types – new words will be added to the one, which is currently in use.
To create an organization-level custom dictionary to be used across all the websites under your subscription, please follow the instructions in this link.
Does WProofreader plugin check grammar as well?
Not all languages in the list support grammar checks. Here is the updated list of supported languages and the ones that can be used for grammar-check.
Is technical support available for WProofreader plugin?
Support service is provided by WebSpellChecker LLC for Pro version users. For more details, please contact us.
How to add a specialized medical or legal dictionary to the Pro version?
The medical dictionary includes over 192K terms related to anatomy, diseases, health care, generic and trademark drug names. Available for English, German, French and Spanish.
The legal dictionary contains about 5K terms related to jurisprudence, law, criminology, and law enforcement. Available for English.
What is an organization-level custom dictionary and how can I use it?
The organization-level custom dictionary functionality is available in the Pro version only and is aimed at extending a list of words in the default dictionaries with your custom words and terms. It helps to improve the quality of spelling check services. Using an account on the WebSpellChecker website, you may create a custom wordlist which includes specific terms, abbreviations, etc. These words won’t be flagged as misspellings.
What are the Terms of Service?
Please see the complete WebSpellChecker Terms of Service for WProofreader plugin.
What browsers are supported?
The plugin supports latest versions of Chrome, Firefox, Safari, and MS Edge, and Internet Explorer 11.
Can I suggest a feature?
Sure, please let us know how we can make the plugin more useful for you. Create a new topic under the support section of this plugin.
Contributors & Developers
“WProofreader spell & grammar check plugin for WordPress” is open source software. The following people have contributed to this plugin.Contributors
“WProofreader spell & grammar check plugin for WordPress” has been translated into 2 locales. Thank you to the translators for their contributions.
Interested in development?
2.6.9 – 2024-02-27
- Updated plugin’s graphics and texts
2.6.8 – 2023-05-17
- Enabled the global badge view instead of the standard one. It will add just one badge at the very bottom of the page instead of adding a small badge on each editable element within Gutenber editor. This badge can be disabled from the plugin settings page.
- Fixed issue when WProofreader doesn’t start automatically in classic editor inside default Gutenberg editor.
2.6.7 – 2022-09-14
- Fixed warning in class-wsc-settings.php on line 180.
2.6.6 – 2022-07-29
- Fixed issue with the dialog mode.
- Updated text.
2.6.5 – 2021-09-28
- Enabled WProofreader badge by default. If needed, it can be disabled from the plugin’s settings tab.
- Enabled the General section on the settings dialog for managing spelling autocorrection. By default, the spelling autocorrection is enabled. If needed, the user can disable it. To do so, please navigate to the badge (orange bubble located at the right bottom corner of the editable block) > click on the gear icon > toggle “Correct spelling automatically”.
2.6.4 – 2020-11-26
- Fixed a minor issue with the plugin permissions and an error shown on the settings page.
2.6.3 – 2020-11-20
- WProofreader is disabled in the table element in the Gutenberg editor to prevent breaking a table and overall glitching.
2.6.2 – 2020-09-22
- Fixed the integration issue that appeared in v2.6 with the Classic editor when Gutenberg is disabled.
2.6.1 – 2020-09-21
- Enabled error logging mechanism. Now errors will be displayed on the plugin settings page, which will help to troubleshoot issues faster.
2.6 – 2020-09-14
- Improved the integration with the Gutenberg editor. Now WProofreader will be automatically started in all editable elements of the editor without the necessity to click on each element to enable the spelling/grammar checking.
- The orange badge is disabled by default for all types of elements including the Gutenberg editor. There is a setting allowing to reactivate the badge.
- The dialog mode option for proofreading is disabled by default for the Gutenberg editor.
2.5 – 2019-07-29
- Enabled spelling and grammar check in the Meta description fields of Yoast SEO plugin.
- Enabled support of Custom Post Types using the “wproofreader_add_cpt“ filter.
2.4 – 2019-04-15
- Added a new option “Disable WProofreader Badge” to the plugin settings which allows disabling an orange badge button. If disabled, the orange badge won’t appear in each editable box on the page. Users will see only underlined spelling and grammar errors that were detected by WProofreader.
- Fixed the issue with “Uncaught TypeError” in the browser console which appeared after the update of the event system in the WProofreader core.
2.3 – 2019-02-25
- Fixed the issue: The Gutenberg editor doesn’t react on the text changes (e.g. replace word) that were made by WProofreader.
- Blocked saving of WProofreader span elements to database.
- Fixed the issue: After replacing a word in IE11 or MS Edge, the word remains underlined in the Gutenberg editor.
- Fixed the issue: After replacing a word in IE11 or MS Edge, the input event doesn’t work properly in the Gutenberg editor.
2.2 – 2019-02-12
- Resolved the issue with not working plugin under PHP version 7.1. and higher. Consequently eliminated PHP warnings “Invalid argument supplied for foreach()“.
2.1 – 2019-01-29
- Fixed the issue with not working grammar checking option in the Pro version.
2.0 – 2018-12-21
The new version of the WProofreader (WebSpellChecker Proofreader) plugin introduces the following updates:
- Upgraded to be fully compatible with latest versions of WordPress: WordPress 4.x, WordPress 5.x and Gutenberg editor.
- Enabled two comfortable modes for proofreading: instant, underlining mistakes while you type, and dialog, proofreading all the text at once in a separate pop-up window.
- Improved engine to check not only spelling but grammar as well. Checking spelling for 6 languages in a Free version, checking both spelling and grammar for 14 in Pro + spell checking in Finnish and Norwegian Bokmal.
- Introduced new clean and comfy UI: intuitive suggestion boxes, spinner indicating the progress of proofreading, Maximize/Restore icon in a dialog mode, save changes notifications.
- Checks spelling and grammar on Pages, Posts, Tags, Categories, WooCommerce Product Descriptions, and WP eCommerce Product Descriptions including product tags and categories.
- Removed banner ad in the Free version.
- Extended the list of supported browsers: Chrome (the latest), Firefox (the latest), Safari (the latest), Internet Explorer 11, MS Edge (the latest).
New version of the WebSpellChecker plugin introduces the following updates:
- Support of the Yoast SEO and ACF text fields
- Spell Checking in the Titles field
- Fixes for minor issues
Initial Release of the WebSpellChecker plugin. The multi-language spell checking functionality is available for Visual Editor and excerpt all fields.